This is by far one of my favorite comfort food. Fried rice is so versatile and a great way to use leftover rice, veggies, tofu, beans etc. You can use any spice you like, but curry is hands down my fave!
To avoid mushy rice, remember to prepare it at least 1 hour in advance or use leftover rice that you have removed from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before frying.
To make fried rice, you will need a rice that is fluffy and not too sticky. It should have distinct, individual grains. Long-grain white rice is perfect for fried rice. Basmati rice is my usual choice. This is the first time I made fried rice with brown Ribe rice and I really loved it.
I got the spices from my mom, who brougth them to me from India. They’re just amazing! So different from the ones I usually buy here in Europe. They smell heavenly and are so rich in flavor! If you’re using regular spices, you may need to use a little more to get the right taste. Add half teaspoon at a time until you reach the desidered flavor.
I really love to add raisins and almonds to my curry rice, but this is totally optional. You can replace them with other nuts/seeds or simply omit them.
I’d love to hear if you try this recipe. Leave me a comment below, rate the recipe or take a pic and tag me on instagram @foodie.yuki
Curry fried rice
- 5 cups (630g ) cooked brown Ribe rice / Basmati rice /Long-grain white rice start with 1 1/2 cups (250 g) raw rice
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated or ginger paste
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/3 cup (50g) raisins, soaked for 30 minutes
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced
- Heat the oil in a large wok or nonstick skillet over high heat.
- When it’s quite hot, add the garlic and stir-fry until slightly golden, about 10 seconds.
- Add the ginger and onion; stir fry until the onion is softened, 3 to 4 min.
- Stir in the curry powder, chili powder, and coriander.
- Add the rice, almonds and raisins, blending well. Stir in the soy sauce, scallion and cilantro.
- Stir-fry for another minute. Transfer to a platter, garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot.