Cake for breakfast? Yes please! This fluffy banana bread is vegan, healthy and loaded with summer berries!
The most difficult part of baking vegan cakes is always to find a good substitute to eggs. In this case, bananas work perfectly! The texture is fluffy and moist and you won’t notice any difference with regular cakes.
And since it’s called a bread, it’s perfectly fine to spread peanut butter or jam on it, am I right? To be honest, I love it just as it is, straight from the oven 🙂
Summer berry banana bread
- 300 grams (about 3 medium) bananas, very ripe
- 80 grams (1/3 cup) coconut oil /vegan butter, at room temperature
- 120 grams (1/2 cup +2tbsp) light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) almond milk
- 270 grams (2 1/4 cups) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 160 grams (1 1/2cups) summer berries (cherries, raspberries, etc.), fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp flour to toss the berries
- 1/2 cup coconut shreds for the topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 180C degrees.
- Grease and flour a 25cm/ 10 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a food processor, combine the bananas, coconut oil or butter and sugar. Blend until smooth (2-3 minutes).
- Add in the vanilla and the flour mixture and blend again, so you’ve left with a smooth cake batter. Don't overmix.
- Place the berries and flour in a bowl and toss to coat evenly.
- Fold the berries with a spatula into the batter and spoon the batter into the pan.
- Top with coconut shreds, if using.
- Bake for 60- 70minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the loaf comes out mostly clean.
- Cover with tinfoil if the top darkens too much.
- Cool 5-10 minutes in loaf pan, then flip loaf out onto a wire rack and cool fully