In summer you just don’t want to turn on the oven. But you still want to eat delicious desserts, right? This recipe is what you need! A refreshing key lime pie with a coconut crust to get all the tropical vibes, even if you’re sweating in a hot city!
This recipe is very easy and doesn’ require much time. Just remember to make it a few hours before serving (one day ahead is even better) to make sure it’s set and chilled.
The filling is creamy and refreshing and the crust smells like heaven thanks to the shredded coconut. If you don’t have shredded coconut, replace it with almond flour.
When using coconut milk from a can, remember to refrigerate the can for at least two hours to separate the thick creamy part from coconut water. This step makes it possible to scoop out the coconut cream. You can keep the coconut water for other uses.
Key lime pie
- 1 20 cm/8 inch pie mold with removable bottom
Ingredients for the crust
- 150 grams /1 1/4 cup oat flour GF cerfified if needed
- 100 grams /3.5 oz shredded coconut
- 50 grams /1/4 cup coconu oil, melted
- 2 tbsp /40g agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 tsp rose salt
Ingredients for the filling
- 200 grams /7oz coconut cream (thick part of a large full fat coconut milk can, refrigerated )
- 1/2 cup/100 ml lime juice, freshly squeezed and passed through a sieve
- 5 tbsp /100g agave or maple syrup
- 1 cup/220g dairy free milk
- 1 tbsp/20 g corn starch
- 1 tsp agar powder
- 1 tsp pandan leaf powder optiona, for the color
Make the crust
- Place oat flour, shredded coconut and salt into a food processor and pulse until fine and well combined.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until a sticky dough forms.
Firmly press the dough into a 25cm pie mold and place in the refrigerator whilst making the filling.
Make the filling
- Place the coconut cream, lime juice and agave into a small saucepan and heat over a medium heat.
- Dissolve the corn starch into the dairy-free milk and add to the saucepan.
Whisk to combine.
- Add the agar powder and pandan leaf powder (if using).
Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking continuously.
- When the mixture starts to thicken, remove from heat and let cool down a little.
- Pour the mixture over the pie base and let cool down completely before placing in the refrigerator to set.
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least 3 hours.
- Enjoy chilled!