If you’re looking for the ultimate fall treat, look no further!
These oatmeal cookies have all the autumn flavors and they’re absolutely delicious just as they are, but when I really want to treat myself, I fill them with cream cheese frosting and.. woah!
For this recipe, I used pecan butter. I have never seen pecan butter in Switzerland’s stores, so I always make my own at home.
Pecan butter is very easy to make at home with a high speed blender such as Vitamix or a food processor.
For best results, make sure to toast pecans before using. Simply spread pecans over a lined baking tray and bake in the preheated oven at 175C degrees for about 6 minutes. Don’t let them burn! It is very important to let them cool down completely before blending.
I usually make nut butter using 300 g (3 cups) nuts, because this is the best amount for easy blend! Less than 300g is too little and you will have to scrap down the butter from the sides of the blender all the time; more than 300-400g can be hard work for your blender.
To make cream pies, use a piping bag or a spoon to spread some cream cheese over the bottom of one cookie, then top with a second cookie and gently press to seal.
I recommend filling the cookies right before serving. You can keep the filled cream pies in the refigerator for one day, but I’d rather keep some extra frosting in the refrigerator and the cookies on the counter (wrapped) so that you can fill them when you’re ready to eat and always have them nice and fresh!
If you make this recipe, be sure to drop a comment below and tag me with your recreations on Instagram @foodie.yuki !
Pecan oatmeal cream pies
- Stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, recommended
- 125 g (1cup) all purpose flour
- 125 g (1 1/4 cups) old fashioned oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 50 g (1/2 cup) pecans, chopped
- 15 g (2 tbsp) cacao nibs
- 40 g (1/4 cup) chocolate chips
- 115 g (1/2 cup) vegan butter room temperature
- 60 g (1/4 cup) pecan butter
- 60 g (1/3 cup) unrefined brown sugar
- 100 g (1/2 cup) light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
Ingredients for the cream cheese frosting
- 330 g cream cheese of choice
- 3 tbsp honey or agave
- Preheat the oven to 175C / 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, salt, chopped pecans, cacao nibs, chocolate chips and oats until well combined. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat vegan butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add pecan butter and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Turn the speed down to low and fold in the oatmeal mixture, mixing until it is just incorporated.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out the dough and place it on the prepared cookie sheet, leaving at least 5cm of space between cookies so they can spread when they bake.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cookies just begin to turn lightly golden brown around the edges.
- Remove and allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack.
Instructions for frosting
- In a small bowl, stir cream cheese and sweetener until well combined. Using a piping bag, pipe some filling on the bottom side of one cookie and press a second cookie on top. Serve immediately or keep in refrigerator for 1 day!