Carrot cake has always been one of my favorites. When I was a child, all my friends asked for chocolate cake for their birthday. I always asked for carrot or strawberry cake! (weirdo)
Blood orange juice is the key to a soft, light and fragrant cake. Plus, it gives such a pretty pink hue to the frosting.
If you want this recipe to be completely refined sugar-free, you can replace the frosting with coconut cream whipped with some maple syrup.
Carrot cake with blood orange frosting
Ingredients for the carrot cake
- 150 grams carrots, peeled
- 250 grams all purpose flour
- 100 grams almond flour
- 150 grams light brown sugar
- 200 ml water
- 200 ml blood orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 100 ml sunflower seeds oil
- 2 organic oranges, zest
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- pinch salt
Ingredients for the frosting
- 50 grams vegan cream cheese softened
- 70 grams powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp blood orange juice, freshly squeezed
Make the cake
- Preheat oven to 170°C degrees.
- Grease and flour a 20 cm spring pan.
- In a large bowl, combine water, sugar, vanilla and orange juice. Whisk until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- In a food processor, combine carrots, orange peel and oil. Blend until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, backing powder, baking soda and spices. Combine with the almond flour.
- Slowly fold the the flour mixture into the wet mixture with a spatula.
- Add the carrot mixture and fold until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared mold.
- Bake on the 2nd rack from bottom of the preheated oven for about 60 minutes or until the center is set.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
Make the blood orange frosting
- In a small bowl, add orange juice and powdered sugar. Whisk to combine. Add the cream cheese and whisk until smooth.