When life gives you lemons, throw them back and ask for chocolate! Or make this delicious lemon custard pie.
The lemon custard filling is creamy, sweet and tangy.. you’re not gonna miss egg yolks and butter!
Lemon custard pie
Ingredients for the crust
- 175 grams almond flour
- 3 dates, pitted
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
Ingredients for the lemon custard
- 350 grams full fat coconut cream
- 150 grams maple syrup
- 35 grams coconut oil, melted
- 2 large lemons, zest and juice
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp agar agar powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder*
Make the base
- Preheat oven to 170°C degrees.
- Place the almond flour, dates, coconut oil, lemon juice and salt into a food processor. Pulse several times until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Press the crust mixture firmly into a lightly greased tart pan. Poke some holes into the bottom of the crust with a fork. Bake for 8-10 minutes until fragrant. Remove and cool completely.
Make the custard filling
- Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan, and whisk to combine. Heat on medium heat and bring to a brief boil. Reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes or until it starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and pour into the prepared base. Let it cool down to room temperature, then place in the refrigerator to set for at least 2 hours.