When I see strawberries, I can’t help buying them! But we all know the struggle with strawberries.. Sometimes they look and smell amazing but end up having zero taste… in that case, instead of eating them raw, I like to cook them and make a tart.
Cooking strawberries is the secret to bring out all the flavor. The addition of cardamom make it even more delicious.
I used a 20 cm tin, but you can also use small tartlets tins instead.
Top with your favorite toppings! I used baby meringues, fresh strawberries, rose petals and chocoalte chunks.
Chocolate, strawberry and cardamom tart
Ingredients for the chocolate base
- 175 grams almond flour
- 50 grams oat flour
- 4 dates, pitted
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
Ingredients for the strawberry filling
- 200 grams strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 120 grams agave *
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 250 grams full fat coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp agar agar
Make the base
- Preheat oven to 170°C degrees.
- Place the almond flour, oat flour, dates, coconut oil, cardamom and salt into a food processor. Pulse several times until the mixture resembles wet sand. It will be a bit sticky.
- Press the crust mixture firmly into a lightly greased tart pan with removable bottom. Poke some holes into the bottom of the crust with a fork.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until fragrant. Remove and cool completely.
Make the filling
- If you’re using fresh strawberries: wash them, remove stems and chop them before placing them into a small saucepan.If you’re using frozen strawberries, place them directly into the saucepan.Add the agave, lemon juice and cardamom.
- Bring to a brief boil and simmer for some minutes, until the strawberries are soft.
- Let cool down completely.
- Add the strawberry compote to a food processor together with the coconut oil and coconut milk. Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a small saucepan, add the corn starch and agar agar and whisk to combine.
- Heat on medium-high and bring to a brief boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuosly until it starts to thicken.
- Let the strawberry mixture cool down a little before pouring it over the chocolate base.
- Let the cake cool down completely , then place it in the refrigerator to set for at least 2 hours.