This recipe has a very special place in my heart because I was asked by Natalie Portman to create it for her daughter.
We decided to make a cooking class together and it was such a fun experience! You can watch IGTV video on my Instagram page!
I will be forever grateful for this amazing opportunity!
Natalie asked for a vegan version of her daughter’s favorite bakery’s matcha donuts. I love matcha and I was very happy to create this recipe. After couple of tests, I finally achieved the perfect donut: fluffy inside and slightly crispy on the edges. And they’re baked in the oven, not fried. Much healthier!
The recipe is very easy to follow and requires only a few ingredients!
To achieve a beautiful vibrant green color, make sure you’re using high quality matcha powder.
I only added a little amount of matcha powder to the batter, and a tiny quarter of teaspoon to the glaze, just for the color. Please feel free to add more matcha powder if you like stronger flavor or color.
I used white sugar to make sure it doesn’t affect the final color, but you can replace it with other unrefined sugars like coconut or brown sugar if you don’t care about the color.
To make the glaze, I used coconut milk because it’s whiter and thicker than other plant milk. If you don’t have or don’t like coconut milk, feel free to use other plant milk and adjust amount of icing sugar if necessary. If you want less sugar overall, you can skip the glaze; the donuts taste heavenly without glaze too!
I recommend using a piping bag to fill the donut mold. If you don’t feel confident or don’t have a piping bag, you can use a spoon, but it can get messy.
As always, If you give this recipe a try, snap a photo and share it on Instagram. Make sure to tag @foodie.yuki so I can see your creations!
Vegan Matcha Donuts
- donut mold, fine mesh sieve, piping bag (optional)
- 190 g (1 1/2 cups) all purpose flour or cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp high quality matcha powder
- 150 g (3/4 cup) white or light brown sugar
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) soy or almond milk
- 40 g (2 tbsp) unsweetened plant yogurt (like soy or coconut yogurt)
- 50 g (4 tbsp) melted vegan butter or coconut oil at room temp
Ingredients for the glaze
- 140 g (1 cup) icing sugar
- 1/4-2 tsp high quality matcha powder
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) plant milk (coconut , soy or almond)
- 15 g (1 tbsp) vegan butter, melted
- sprinkles, edible rose petals, chopped nuts for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Prepare donut tray by spraying with non-stick spray or grease with little oil. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, matcha and salt into a mixing bowl and add the sugar.
- Whisk to combine.Add the soy milk, soy yogurt and melted coconut oil and whisk to combine.
- Transfer the donut batter into a piping bag and pipe it into the donut mold evenly or use a spoon (but it can get messy).
- Bake for 15 minutes until lightly browned on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before transferring the donuts to a wire cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely before glazing.
- For the glaze, combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Dip the donuts into the sugar glaze and then place onto a parchment lined baking tray and decorate with toppings.