There is something nostalgic in brioche buns. They remind me of my childhood.
I remember those fluffy sweet buns topped with coarse sugar that were sold at the small shop in the town where I grew up. I used to walk from school to home and sometimes I was allowed to stop by the shop and get a snack. I often chose one of those buns.
They were packaged and full of preservatives and sugars. Not really healthy, but delicious for sure!
I made my own homemade vegan version of those buns and they are even more delicious! They are perfect for breakfast or afternoon snack and can be taken to school or to a picnic!
Your kids will love them, but I am pretty sure you’ll love them too!
Every time I make these brioche buns, they disappear in no time! This is why the recipe below is for 16 buns 😉
Please feel free to halve the recipe if you think you won’t be able to eat them all (but I’m sure your family or your neighborhood will).
I haven’t tried freezing the (baked) buns yet (sorry, no buns left to test it!) but It shoul be fine. Just pop them into preheated oven or microwave before eating.
I love the addition of chocolate chips, but plain brioche buns are delicious as well. They’re slighly sweet and perfect to pair with homemade jam or nut butter for a very special breakfast!
You can also replace chocolate chips with chocolate squares, one in the center of each bun for a surprise effect 😉
I always use a stand mixer fitted with hook attachment to knead the dough (KitchenAid). It only takes about 10 minutes to get the brioche bun dough ready. If you’re kneading it by hand, make sure to knead for 20 mins or until the dough is really smooth and elastic. Try not to add additional flour.
I hope you guys will love this recipe as much as my family amd neighborhood do!
Make sure to follow me on Instagram @foodie.yuki to get all new recipes as soon as they come out and to get video tutorials /Reels/ tips. I’d love to connect with you!
As always, If you give this recipe a try, snap a photo and share it on Instagram. Make sure to tag @foodie.yuki so I can see your creations!
Have fun baking!
Vegan chocolate chip brioche buns
- Stand mixer (optional, can be knead by hand, see blog post)
- 7,5 g instant yeast or 10 g active dry yeast
- 500 g (4 cups) all purpose flour
- 100 g (1/2 cup) light brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 280 ml (1 cup + 2 tbsp) plant milk (soy, almond) lukewarm
- 60 g (1/4 cup) vegan butter softened, at room temp
- 150 g ( 1,5 cups) mini dairy free chocolate chips
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together flour, sugar, yeast and salt.(If using active dry yeast, please combine with 2 tbsp lukewarm water +1 tsp sugar and set aside to activate for 10 min).
- Add plant milk, and knead on slow to combine.
- Add the softened butter, diced, then continue kneading until well incorporated (about 10 mins). The dough must be smooth and slightly sticky.
- If the dough is a little bit warm, let cool for a few minutes at room temperature, then add the chocolate chips and spread evenly in the dough.
- Cover the dough with a cloth and let rise at room temperature for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- After the first rise, punch it a little bit to remove any air bubbles.
- Place the dough back in the bowl, cover with cling film, and place in the refrigerator for about 3 hours or ideally overnight.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces (65g each) and shape into small balls. Do not overwork or the chocolate will melt.
- Brush with some plant milk, cover, and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Brush the buns with plant milk again. Bake for about 15-17 minutes, or until the buns are golden-brown. Transfer to a rack and let cool completely. Enjoy!