If you think that vegan cakes are just an imitation of regular cakes, you haven’t tried THIS chocolate cake!
In my opinion, this cake is just as delicious as a regular chocolate cake would. Actually, it’s even better, because it’s dairy-free and refined-sugar free. And the texture is just as moist, rich and fluffy as any regular butter and sugar loaded cake.
It annoys me that some people still think that baked goods need to have lots of butter, eggs and sugar to taste good.
Of course, vegan / plant-based recipes are more tricky to and need more testing than regular recipes. But once you have the good recipe (this one;)) you won’t believe how easy it is to leave out eggs and butter.
The coffee in the batter intensifies the flavor of the chocolate. It gives your baked goods a rich, depth of flavor. By no means can you taste the coffee, but you definitely will have a chocolate party in your mouth.
None of your non-vegan friends will guess this is a vegan cake. And they will love it!
I used a 25x10cm (10×4″) loaf pan because I wanted this to be an easy breafast cake, so not very tall. But you can also use a 22cm/9″ pan and get a taller cake (make sure to adapt the baking time: the shorter the pan, the taller the cake and the longer the baking time!Check with a toothpick inserted near the center!)
This is one of my most popular recipe on Instagram and I really hope you guys are going to give it a try! If you are looking for a more fancy version, here is the chocolate frosting version.
I’d love to see you making my recipes! Make sure you tag me on Instagram so that I can see your pics! Have fun!
The best vegan chocolate cake
- one 25cmx10 / 10×4" loaf pan
Ingredients for the cake
- 190 g / 1 1/2 cups white spelt or all purpose flour
- 20 g / 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 80 g/ 1/2 cup Muscovado or coconut sugar
- 80 g/1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 65 g/ 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted at room temperature
- 80 ml / 1/3 cups espresso coffee, warm
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 240 ml /1 cup water at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 175C| 350 F degrees.
- Line a 22x 12 cm | 10 x 4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cacao powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the coconut oil, espresso, vanilla, vinegar, and water until well combined.
- Stir in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool down for 5 minutes into the pan, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Cool down completely before slicing.