Sweater weater means my favorite season has arrived! Ok, not officially autumn yet, but it’s always time for cozy food, right?
When I think of a perfect autumn breakfast, I think of a cozy cup of earl grey with some almond milk paired with a moist, spiced breakfast cake.
Earl grey is a flavored black tea infused with bergamot orange. The citrus notes of bergamot give the unique, luxurious taste to this tea. It’s one of my all time favorite tea and it’s also an amazing ingredient for baked goods!
This loaf is fluffy and moist and has chocolate chunks for even more yumminess.
The frosting is a regular vanilla cashew frosting, to which I added some beet powder just for the color, because, you know, I have a weakness for pink food.
I really hope you’ll like this recipe! I’d love to have a feedback from you if you try it! Tag me on Instagram @foodie.yuki or send me your photos in DM, I’d love to share them with my community in my stories!
Earl grey pound cake with cashew frosting
Ingredients for the frosting
- 110 g / 3/4 cups cashews, soaked overnight
- 140 g / 1/2 cup coconut cream, from a can
- 30 g/ 1/4 cup raw cacao butter gently melted, at room temp
- 3 tbsp rice syrup
- 1 tsp beet powder optional, for the color
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- pinch pink salt
Ingredients for the plum cake
- 190 g/ 1 1/2 cups white spelt flour or all purpose flour
- 80 g/ 1/2 cup Muscovado or coconut sugar
- 80 g / 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1,5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 65 g/ 1/3 cup coconut oil gently melted, at room temp
- 80 ml/1/3 cup Earl grey tea
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 240 ml/ 1 cup almond milk
- 40 g/ 1/4 cup dark chocolate, chopped
Make the frosting
- Place the cashews, coconut cream, rice syrup, lemon juice, vanilla and beet powder in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the cacao butter gradually through the top of the blender while the motor is running. This should blend in completely and you should end up with a smooth cream.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, stirring from time to time. You can keep it in the fridge overnight and give it a good stir before using.
Make the pum cake
- Preheat the oven to 175C| 350 F degrees. Line a 22x 12 cm | 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cinnamon, flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the coconut oil, tea , vanilla, vinegar, and almond milk until well combined.
- Stir in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for 50 – 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.