I love the moist and rich texture of these cupcakes. They’re super easy to make and you won’t believe they’re plant-based and healthy!
The vegan “buttercream” is made from soaked cashews, coconut cream and raw cacao butter. You can add any flavor of choice, but since blackberry season is coming to and end, I really wanted to enjoy them a little longer. Plus, I love the beautifl pink color of blackberries 🙂
When making vegan buttercream, always start by soaking your cashews overnight. This step is very important to achieve the perfect creamy texture, so don’t skip it! You can also soak the cashews in hot boiling water for 30 minutes if you forget to soak them overnight, but, in my opinion, the overnight version blend up in a smoother and whiter cream.
Also, remember to place the coconut milk can in the refrigerator. This will separate the coconut cream (which you’ll be using in this recipe) from the coconut water (which you can keep for other recipes or add to your smoothies).
Making the cupcakes is very easy and it only requires 30 minutes (including baking time). This is why I like to prepare the buttercream in the evening so that I can wake up and bake the cupcakes without worrying about the buttercream, which has perfectly set overnight and is ready to be piped beautifully.
If you’re in a hurry and don’t mind the buttercream on top, you can of course enjoy them naked, like chocolate muffins.
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! As always, I’d be very happy to see your re-creations of my recipe! Tag me on Instagram @foodie.yuki or send me your pics in DM.
Chocolate cupcakes with blackberry buttercream
- Muffin cases, muffin mold
Ingredients for the frosting
- 30 g / 1 oz/ 1/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 100 g/ 3,5 oz /2/3 cups cashews, soaked overnight
- 150 g/ 5,2 oz/ 3/4 cup coconut cream from a refrigerated can
- 20 g/ 7 oz raw cacao butter, gently melted, at room temp
- 3 tbsp rice syrup or agave
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
Ingredients for the cupcakes (dry)
- 125 g/ 1 cup white spelt or all purpose flour
- 30 g/ 2 1/2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 50 g/1/4 cup + 1 tbsp Moscovado or coconut sugar
- 50 g /1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Ingredients for the cupcakes (wet)
- 50 g/ 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted, at room temp or other neutral oil
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup espresso coffee, warm
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 160 ml / 2/3 cup water
Make the frosting
- Mash the blackberries through a sieve and discard the seeds.
- Place the (rinsed and drained cashews), coconut cream, rice syrup and mashed blackberries in a food processor or high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- With the machine running, slowly add the melted cacao butter and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Transfer the buttercream in a bowl and place in refrigerator to set for at least 4 hours.
Make the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 356F degrees and line a muffin tray with 6 cases.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and mix until just combined (don’t over mix).
- Divide the batter equally (I used an ice cream scooper) between the 6 muffin cases and bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely before frosting.