This is my idea of summer breakfast: a moist, fluffy piece of blueberry loaf with a cup of tea, enjoyed on the terrasse:) so good! Especially if it is plant-based and refined sugar-free!
I love blueberries, the more the better! This loaf is overloaded with blueberries, but feel free to decrease the amount according to your taste or replace them with other berries, such as raspberries or blackberries.
The texture of this loaf is perfectly moist and fluffy thanks to the yogurt (I used coconut yogurt, but soy is also fine).
You can use any neutral oil such as sunflower or canola oil. If you’re using coconut oil, you will need to gently melt it over a bain-Marie first and then let it cool down to room temperature.
Please make sure that also yogurt and milk are at room temperature for best results.
As always, I’d love to hear from you if you try this recipe! Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @foodie.yuki so that I can see your beautiful creations!
- 22 cm loaf pan
- 130 g/ 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt
- 180 ml / 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 110 g / 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 tbsp neutral oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 organic lemon, zested
- 250 g/ 2 cups white spelt or all purpose flour
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 130 g/ 1 cup blueberries, tossed in 1 tbsp flour plus some for topping
- chopped walnuts for topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 365 degrees F / 180ºC.
- Grease and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add all the wet ingredients in a bowl and whisk until the sugar is well combined. 1-2 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients except blueberries. Add dry to wet and mix until just combined. Reserve 1-2 tbsp blueberries.
- Fold in the rest of the blueberries into the batter. Drop the batter into prepared pan. Distribute the remaining blueberries (and walnuts if using) on top and press in lightly.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick from the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely before slicing.
- Frost or ice if needed. A simple glaze of lemon zest + lemon juice + sugar icing works really well