Nothing screams summer more than coconut and lemon, right? This is by far my favorite summer cake. So moist, light, refreshing and with a yummy lemon glaze on top!
I am not a cake girl. I know, this may sound weird, but I prefer tarts with crunchy crusts to fluffy cakes. But there are some exception. And loaf cakes are one of these. Especially this coconut and lemon one.
I am so proud of this recipe. Loaf cakes must have a moist and fluffy texture and this is always challenging without using eggs. I used full fat coconut milk to replace the eggs and the result was absolutely stunning!
Make sure you’re using full fat coconut milk at ROOM TEMPERATURE and melted coconut oil at ROOM TEMPERATURE! Don’t skip that step!
If you combine cold coconut milk with melted coconut oil, the oil will harden up in little lumps. Not fun. Anyway, if this happens to you, just heat the mixture over a bain marie or in the microwave until smooth.
I love how moist and fluffy the texture is. This loaf keeps very well covered in aluminium foil for a couple of days. But I’m pretty sure it won’t last that long!
I hope that you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make this llemon and coconut loaf, make sure to take a pic and tag me on Instagram @foodie.yuki ! I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Coconut and Lemon loaf
- 220 g/ 1 1/2 cups +2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 120 g/ 1/2 cup +2tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 50 grams / 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted room temperature
- 240 g / 1 cup full fat coconut milk room temperature
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (2 organic lemons)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla bean paste
Ingredients for the glaze
- 100 g / 3/4 cup powder sugar sifted
- 1 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut chips, to garnish
- Make the cake
- Preheat oven to 175C | 350F degrees
- Spray a 20×10 cm |8 x 4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and line with a piece of parchment paper to remove the loaf easily once baked.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Add the poppyseeds and salt and whisk to combine.
- Set aside. In another medium bowl, whisk together coconut oil and coconut milk until well combined. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Mix until combined. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Don't over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 60 minutes until golden brown or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Using the parchment paper handles, carefully lift the cake from the pan and set aside to cool on a wire rack.