Homemade patties are the best, right? And these are packed with nutrients and veggies! YAY! This recipe is super easy, vegan and gluten-free.
I love to pair the patties with a bowl of veggies for a quick lunch, but you can also make bite-sized patties and serve them on a snack platter with a dip to amaze your guests.
Quinoa is naturally gluten-free and it’s considered a superfood for its many benefits. It’s high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain sufficient amounts of all nine essential amino acids. It is also high in fiber and vitamins.
This recipe is also vegan, since I did not use eggs or dairies to make these patties. I replaced them with sweet potatoes to get a nice texture. In case you want to use eggs, replace the sweet potatoes with 3 pasture raised eggs.
I’d be super happy to hear from you if you make these patties. Leave me a comment below, rate the recipe, take a pic and tag me on Instagram. Remember to follow me on Instagram @foodie.yuki for more healthy inspo!
Spinach and quinoa patties
- 175 grams/ 1 cup uncooked quinoa seeds, rinsed and drained (I used tri-color quinoa)
- 500 ml/2 cups water
- 80 grams/ 3/4 cup/3 oz rolled oats Gluten-free certified, if needed
- 300 grams sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed (about 2 medium)
- 100 grams/4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- handful fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- coconut oil or ghee for frying
cook the quinoa
- Add quinoa and water to a pot or rice cooker and cook for about 20 minutes.
Make the patties
- In a large mixing bowl, place cooked quinoa, oats, mashed sweet potatoes, chopped spinach and basil, salt and pepper and combine until all is mixed.
- Place in the fridge to set for 30 minutes.
- Take out the mixture and form small or large patties with your hands
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the patties and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- The patties keep for 3-5 days in the fridge and freezes well.
- If you want to make the Buddha bowl: add edamame, cilantro, red cabbage, sprouts, golden cherry tomatoes, basil and roasted almonds to a bowl and place the patties on top.