You can never go wrong with pasta, right? You only need to pair it with a delicious homemade sauce to create a different dish each time! In summer, especially when it’s hot, I love to make lighter dishes like pasta salads or this lemon Alfredo linguine. So creamy, light and refreshing! Yum!
To achieve a creamy texture without using heavy cream, I simply use cauliflowers. Yes, cauliflowers are the perfect base to make creamy sauces like bechamel sauce, Alfredo sauce or vegan Mac’n cheese. It’s a very smart option because you don’t only skip dairies, calories and fats, but you also get a good amount of veggies without even noticing! And you won’t be able to taste it.
If you are following a vegan diet and you don’t care about plant-based, you can use soy cream or any vegan store-bought cream. But, in my opinion, homemade is always a better and healthier option.
I roasted some pine nuts and bread crumbs with oregano, chili, salt and pepper to add some crunchiness and taste to the creamy sauce. The result was an explosion of flavors, so I really recommend not to skip that step!
You can use any kind of pasta. I used linguine but honestly this choice was purely because that’s what I had on hand.
Short pasta works just as well.
As always, I’d be very happy to hear from you if you make this recipe! Leave me a comment below, rate the recipe or take a pic and tag me on Instagram @foodie.yuki !
Remember to follow me on Instagram @foodie.yuki for more plant-based inspiration!
Happy summer! 🙂
Creamy lemon Alfredo linguine
ingredients for the sauce
- 350 grams cauliflower florets fresh or frozen
- 120 ml/ 1/2 cup water
- 60 grams/ 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 organic lemon, juice and zest
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 clove garlic or more if you like
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Ingredients for the linguine
- 200 grams linguine or any pasta of choice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- pinch sea salt
- pinch black pepper, ground
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1/2 organic lemon, zest
Make the sauce
- Remember to soak the cashews overnight or you won't achieve a creamy texture. If you forget to soak them overnight, just place them in a bowl and cover with hot boiling water for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and cook in a steamer or in boiling water until soft and tender. This will take about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor with 120 ml of water and blend until creamy.
- Add the cashews, lemon juice and zest, salt, garlic, extra virgin olive oil. Blend until completely smooth. Place the sauce in a large bowl.
- Heat 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a small saucepan. Add the bread crumbs, oregano, salt, pine nuts and chili flakes and cook until crispy and golden.
- Cook the linguine following the package instructions.
- Drain the linguine and reserve 1 tbsp of cooking water.
- Add the pasta to the sauce bowl together with the cooking water and toss until well coated.
Serve immediately with the bread crumbs and some lemon zest.