Asian food is my favorite comfort food. Especially if it’s homemade, plant-based, spicy, healthy and delicious!
I prepared this for my family and nobody was able to find out they were eating cauliflower! I love how the sweet and spicy sauce goes well with the crispy cauliflower. It feels like cheat meal but it’s actually healthy!
I love to pair the spicy cauliflower with fluffy Jasmine rice for a balanced meal, but you can also prepare a batch of crispy cauliflower to dip in the sauce as a fingerfood or snack.
Spicy crispy orange cauliflower
Ingredients for the cauliflower
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk
Ingredients for the sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 100 g / 1/4cup + 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 30 g / 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 25 g / 1/8 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 tsp sriracha / ketchup for milder
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp water
Make the crispy cauliflower
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ 400°F degrees.
- Place the flour in a small bowl and the milk in another bowl.
- Add about 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs into a Ziploc bag.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip cauliflower in flour, then in milk and shake a few times so that excess drips off. Place the dipped cauliflower florets on a tray to remove some more excess of dip.
- Take a dipped cauliflower and place into a bag of breadcrumbs. Seal and shake a few times until it is completely covered in breadcrumbs. Repeat with all the florets. Don't place more than 4-5 florets in the bag to guarantee an even coverage.
- Add 1/2 cup of bread crumbs to refill the bag when needed.
- Remove and place onto baking sheet. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy.
Make the sauce
- While the cauliflower is baking, make the sauce.
- Using a small saucepan, add all ingredients listed except the two last ingredients of the (2 tbs water and 2 tbsp cornstarch).
- Bring sauce to a low boil, stirring constantly. In a small bowl, completely dissolve cornstarch in water, then add to the mixture.
- Stir until sauce boils again and cook until sauce thickens.
- Drizzle sauce over cauliflower.
- Add fresh chopped scallions, chopped peanuts, sesame seeds and lemon zest. Serve with Jasmine rice.