Asian food is my favorite comfort food. Especially if it’s homemade, plant-based, spicy, healthy and delicious!
I prepared the Spicy crispy orange cauliflower for my family and nobody was able to find out they were eating cauliflower! I love how the sweet and spicy sauce goes well with the crispy cauliflower. It feels like cheat meal but it’s actually healthy!
I love to pair the spicy cauliflower with fluffy Jasmine rice for a balanced meal, but you can also prepare a batch of crispy cauliflower to dip in the sauce as a fingerfood or snack.
Spicy crispy orange cauliflower
- Ingredients for the cauliflower 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets2 cups panko breadcrumbs1/2 cup flour1/2 cup dairy-free milk
- Ingredients for the sauce 2 tbsp water100 g / 1/4cup + 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice30 g / 1/4 cup coconut sugar2 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar25 g / 1/8 cup soy sauce or tamari1 clove garlic, minced1 tsp ginger, minced2 tsp sriracha / ketchup for milder1 tsp ketchup2 tsp corn starch2 tbsp water
Make the crispy cauliflower
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ 400°F degrees.Place the flour in a small bowl and the milk in another bowl.Add about 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs into a Ziploc bag.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.Dip cauliflower in flour, then in milk and shake a few times so that excess drips off. Place the dipped cauliflower florets on a tray to remove some more excess of dip.
- Take a dipped cauliflower and place into a bag of breadcrumbs. Seal and shake a few times until it is completely covered in breadcrumbs. Repeat with all the florets. Don't place more than 4-5 florets in the bag to guarantee an even coverage.
- Add 1/2 cup of bread crumbs to refill the bag when needed.Remove and place onto baking sheet. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy.
Make the sauce
- While the cauliflower is baking, make the sauce.Using a small saucepan, add all ingredients listed except the two last ingredients of the (2 tbs water and 2 tbsp cornstarch).
- Bring sauce to a low boil, stirring constantly. In a small bowl, completely dissolve cornstarch in water, then add to the mixture.
- Stir until sauce boils again and cook until sauce thickens.Drizzle sauce over cauliflower.Add fresh chopped scallions, chopped peanuts, sesame seeds and lemon zest. Serve with Jasmine rice.
Cooking tips Spicy crispy orange cauliflower
Here are some cooking tips for making spicy crispy orange cauliflower:
- Use cornstarch: Tossing the cauliflower florets in cornstarch before baking them will help to create a crispy coating.
- Bake instead of frying: Instead of deep-frying the cauliflower, bake it in the oven for a healthier and easier alternative.
- Use parchment paper: Line your baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent the cauliflower from sticking and to ensure even cooking.
- Make the sauce ahead of time: Mix together the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set it aside so that it’s ready to go when the cauliflower is done.
- Add the sauce at the end: Toss the baked cauliflower in the sauce just before serving to prevent it from getting too soggy.
- Adjust the spice level: Adjust the amount of red pepper flakes to your liking, depending on how spicy you want the dish to be.
- Garnish with green onions: Add some chopped green onions on top of the cauliflower for an extra pop of flavor and color.
By following these cooking tips, you can create a delicious and crispy spicy orange cauliflower dish that’s perfect for a quick and easy dinner. It’s a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables while still your craving for something spicy and flavorful.
FAQs of Spicy crispy orange cauliflower
Here are some frequently asked questions about spicy crispy orange cauliflower:
Q: Is this dish vegan?
A: Yes, spicy crispy orange cauliflower is vegan-friendly as it is made with cauliflower and a sauce that uses vegan-friendly ingredients.
Q: Can I use frozen cauliflower for this recipe?
A: Yes, you can use frozen cauliflower for this recipe, but it’s important to thaw it completely and pat it dry before using it to ensure that it cooks evenly and gets crispy.
Q: How do I adjust the spice level?
A: You can adjust the spice level by adding more or less red pepper flakes depending on your preference. You can also omit the red pepper flakes entirely if you don’t like spice.
Q: Can I make this dish ahead of time?
A: While the cauliflower is best served fresh and crispy, you can make the sauce ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to a week. When it’s time to serve, bake the cauliflower and toss it in the sauce just before serving.
Q: Can I use a different type of sauce?
A: Yes, you can experiment with different sauces to create your own unique twist on this dish. Consider using a sweet and sour sauce or a honey garlic sauce for a different flavor profile.
Q: Can I use a different type of vegetable?
A: Yes, this recipe can be adapted to use other vegetables such as broccoli or Brussels sprouts instead of cauliflower. Just adjust the cooking time as needed.
By following these tips and answering these frequently asked questions, you can create a delicious and spicy orange cauliflower dish that’s sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
In conclusion, spicy crispy orange cauliflower is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional orange chicken. By following some simple cooking tips, such as using cornstarch to create a crispy coating and baking instead of frying, you can create a perfectly crispy and flavorful dish.
Whether you’re serving it as a side dish or as a main course, spicy crispy orange cauliflower is a great way to add some spice and flavor to your meal while getting your daily dose of vegetables.