Fluffy, fudgy, rich, decadent. And still super healthy!
Do you make banana bread only when you have some very ripe, spotted bananas that nobody wants to eat?
I promise you that with this recipe you will go to buy bananas on purpose to make this delicious cake 😉
This is a very easy and quick recipe. You can even use a food processor to combine all the ingredients and have the cake ready in no time. I use my Magimix Cook Expert and it only takes 5 minutes to prepare the batter!
The bananas give a dense and rich texture to the cake and allow to use only minimal amount of oil and no eggs.
Fudgy double chocolate banana bread
- 300 grams very ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 80 grams /5 tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 25 grams /1/4 cup cacao powder
- 235 grams /1 cup boiling water
- 170 grams / 3/4 cups coconut sugar /raw brown sugar
- 210 grams/ 1+ 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 30 grams/ 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 40 grams / 1,3 oz dark chocolate chunks/chips
- Preheat the oven to 175C/ 350 F.
- Grease a 22cm / 9-inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- Place the bananas in a food processor and blend until smooth. If you're not using a food processor, mash them with a fork.
- Add the coconut oil/ butter, vanilla, cocoa powder and boiling water and blend until well combined.
- Add the sugar and blend until it dissolves.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
- Whisk the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture and mix until everything is combined and smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, top with the chocolate chunks and chips and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 5-10 minutes in loaf pan, then flip loaf out onto a wire rack and cool fully