Fluffy, fudgy, rich, decadent. And still super healthy! Do you make Double chocolate banana bread only when you have some very ripe, spotted bananas that nobody wants to eat?
I promise you that with this recipe you will go to buy bananas on purpose to make this delicious cake
This is a very easy and quick recipe. You can even use a food processor to combine all the ingredients and have the cake ready in no time. I use my Magimix Cook Expert and it only takes 5 minutes to prepare the batter! The bananas give a dense and rich texture to the cake and allow to use only minimal amount of oil and no eggs.
Fudgy double chocolate banana bread
- 300 grams very ripe bananas
- 80/5 grams/tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 25 grams /1/4 cup cacao powder
- 235 grams /1 cup boiling water
- 170 grams / 3/4 cups coconut sugar /raw brown sugar
- 210 grams/ 1+ 1/2 cups cups all purpose flour
- 30 grams/ 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 40 grams / 1,3 oz dark chocolate chunks/chips
- Preheat the oven to 175C/ 350 F.
- Grease a 22cm / 9-inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- Place the bananas in a food processor and blend until smooth. If you're not using a food processor, mash them with a fork.
- Add the coconut oil/ butter, vanilla, cocoa powder and boiling water and blend until well combined.
- Add the sugar and blend until it dissolves.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
- Whisk the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture and mix until everything is combined and smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, top with the chocolate chunks and chips and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 5-10 minutes in loaf pan, then flip loaf out onto a wire rack and cool fully
Cooking tips Double chocolate banana bread
Double chocolate banana bread is a delicious twist on traditional banana bread, packed with rich chocolate flavor. Here are some cooking tips to help you make the perfect double chocolate banana bread:
Use ripe bananas Ripe bananas are sweeter and have a stronger flavor, which will make your banana bread more flavorful. Look for bananas that are mostly brown and spotty on the outside.
- Use high-quality cocoa powder: Use high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder to get the best chocolate flavor in your banana bread.
- Add chocolate chips: Adding chocolate chips to the batter will give your banana bread an extra chocolatey kick. Use dark chocolate chips for a richer flavor.
- Don’t overmix the batter: Overmixing the batter can make the bread tough and dense. Mix the ingredients until just combined.
- Use a loaf pan: Use a 9×5 inch loaf pan to bake your banana bread. Grease the pan well or line it with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Check for doneness: Check the bread for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean, the bread is done.
- Let the bread cool: Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan and cooling it on a wire rack.
- Serve warm: Double chocolate banana bread is best served warm with a cup of coffee or tea. You can also serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a decadent dessert.
Double chocolate banana bread is a delicious dessert that can be enjoyed any time of day. Here are some serving suggestions to help you enjoy this tasty treat:
Slice the bread while it’s still warm and serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The warm bread and melty chocolate chips will be a decadent treat.
- Toasted and spread with butter: Toast a slice of the bread and spread it with butter for a tasty breakfast or snack.
- Served with fresh fruit: Serve the bread with fresh berries or sliced bananas for a balanced and fruity addition.
- Topped with nuts: Crushed nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, make a great topping for the bread. Simply sprinkle them on top of the bread before baking or after it’s been sliced.
- Served with a hot beverage: Enjoy a slice of double chocolate banana bread with a cup of hot coffee, tea, or cocoa for a cozy and indulgent treat.
No matter how you choose to serve it, double chocolate banana bread is a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that everyone will love.
FAQs of Double chocolate banana bread
Q: Can I use frozen bananas to make double chocolate banana bread?
A: Yes, you can use frozen bananas to make double chocolate banana bread. Simply thaw the bananas completely before using them in the recipe.
Q: Can I use milk chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate chips?
A: Yes, you can use milk chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate chips. However, keep in mind that milk chocolate chips are sweeter and will give the bread a milder chocolate flavor.
Q: How should I store double chocolate banana bread?
A: Double chocolate banana bread can be stored at room temperature, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, for up to 3 days. For longer storage, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Q: Can I make double chocolate banana bread without eggs?
A: Yes, you can make double chocolate banana bread without eggs by using a vegan egg substitute, such as applesauce or mashed banana. However, keep in mind that the texture and flavor of the bread may be slightly different.
Q: Can I use a different type of flour, like almond flour, to make double chocolate banana bread?
A: Yes, you can use a different type of flour, like almond flour, to make double chocolate banana bread. However, keep in mind that different flours have different properties and may affect the texture and flavor of the bread. You may need to adjust the recipe accordingly.