This layer cake has a creamy lemon frosting and is filled with a wild blueberry jam. You don’t even need to own a full collection of pans, because this recipe requires only one 16 cm/7″ pan!
This cake is light and delicious. The whole cake contains only 50 g of sunflower seeds oil.
The layers are filled with wild bluberry jam and fresh blueberries. I used wild blueberries because, in my opinion, they have a more intense and fragrant taste. Of course, if you can’t find them, regular blueberries are perfectly fine.
This cake won’t last long 😉 but you can store it in an airthight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Wild blueberry and lemon layer cake
Ingredients for the cake
- 240 ml (1 cup) almond milk
- 80 ml (1/4 cup+1 tbsp) lemon juice
- 2 tsp organic lemon zest
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 50 grams (3 1/2 tbsp) sunflower seed oil
- 280 grams (2 1/3 cups) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 75 grams (1/3 cup) light brown sugar
Ingredients for the wild blueberry jam
- 300 grams wild blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 120 grams agave syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 100 grams fresh blueberries
Ingredients for the lemon frosting
- 250 grams (1 and 3/4 cups) cashews, soaked
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) almond milk
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) coconut cream (solid part of one can)
- 3 tbsp agave syrup
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder optional, for the color
Make the frosting
- Make the frosting to allow it to set whilst making the cake.
- Soak the cashews for at least 4 hours (better overnight.)
- Drain and rinse the cashews and place them in a food processor together with the other ingredients.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Make the cake
- Preheat the oven to 175 C| 350F
- Grease and flour one 16 cm | 7” pan
- In a small bowl, add milk and lemon juice. Stir well and set aside for ten minutes to make buttermilk.
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, light brown sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- Add the applesauce, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Whisk to combine but don’t over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared mold and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool down completely and cut horizontally into 3 layers.
Make the jam
- Add the wild blueberries, honey/agave, lemon juice to a medium size pot set over high heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Continue to cook for 8- 10 minutes or until the jam has reduced and thickened by 1/3
- Remove from the heat, add the chia seeds and let cool
- Should thicken as it cools. Fold in 100g of fresh blueberries to add more texture.
Assemble the cake
- Place the first cake layer on a plate.
- With a piping bag, pipe a circle of lemon frosting on the outer part of the cake.
- Spread 3 tbsp of the blueberry jam in the center.
- Add the second cake layer and proceed in the same way.
- Lightly frost the outside with remaining lemon frosting.