I can’t imagine a better breakfast than a couple of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with a cup of green tea! This is a super simple recipe (you only need one bowl or a mixer) with a vegan and gluten free option.
I added some larger chocolate chips right after baking because chocolate is never enough, right? 😛
To make this recipe gluten-free, I tried many different ingredients and I found that a combination of rice flour and potato starch was a great all purpose flour replacer in this recipe. But, because of the soft texture that this kind of flour gives, I think that it combines better with the flax egg than with the regular egg. Among all versions of this recipe, the one with rice flour/potato starch (GF) and flax egg (vegan) is actually my favorite. If you’re a buckwheat lover (I am not), you can replace the all purpose flour with buckwheat flour 1:1 and you’ll get a more “rustic” cookie.
One bowl breakfast cookies
- 80 grams old fashioned rolled oats (GF if needed)
- 80 grams all purpose flour (GF if needed)
- 80 grams light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 60 grams odorless coconut oil, melted or sunflower seeds oil
- 1 egg or 1 flax egg for vegan *
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 20 grams dark chocolate chips
- 16 chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 175C/ 350F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all the ingredients except coconut chips to a large bowl of a stand mixer and beat until the dough is moist and all the ingredients are combined. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Using your hands clump together a tablespoon of dough. Use you hands form a ball. Place on prepared baking sheet. Let some distance between the cookies because they’ll spread while baking.
- Bake for 10 -12 minutes or until set and golden.
- Press in chocolate chunks when they’re still warm.