This Cardamom vanilla cake has immediately become a favorite at our home! A fluffy and light vegan sponge cake layered with creamy strawberry filling to celebrate spring. YAY! The recipe is vegan, refined sugar-free, dairy-free, and soy-free.
I made many attempts to achieve a fluffy and airy sponge cake without using any eggs, and I must say that I am very happy with this result! The cake is airy and light and keeps its texture for a couple of days without drying out. (But I’m sure it won’t last that long!) I filled the sponge cake with coconut yogurt and strawberries to keep it light. However, you can also opt for whipped coconut cream, strawberry jam, Oreo vanilla cakes, or any other filling you like! The versatility of this recipe allows you to customize it to your taste and occasion, whether it’s a delicate spring celebration or a delightful treat for any time of the year.
Cardamom and vanilla straberry cake
- 2 bowl
- 1 pan
- 200 grams Ingredients for the sponge cake: light brown sugar
- 100 grams coconut oil or plant-based butter
- 1 tsp cardamom, ground
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 300 ml unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 300 grams flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 400 grams Ingredients for the strawberry filling: unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cashew butter
- 2 tbsp agave
- 3 tbsp coconut cream
- 3 tbsp homemade strawberry jam
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 tsp cardamom, ground
- 170 grams chopped strawberries (about 10)
- Make the sponge cake: Preheat oven to 180C degrees.
- Grease and flour three 15cm/6-inch round cake pans.
- In a small bowl, pour in the milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom and salt.
- In a bowl of a food processor, add sugar and softened coconut oil. Beat until fluffy, 1 minute. Slowly add milk and vanilla; beat on low speed until well-incorporated.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and fold gently until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Divide the batter among the 3 prepared cake pans. Bake at 180C for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. The sponges will be lightly browned and beginning to pull away from the sides.
- Remove and cool 10 minutes before turning the cakes onto a wire rack to cool completely
- Make the fillingIn a medium bowl, add cashew butter, coconut cream, strawberry jam and agave and stir to combine.
- Gently fold in the coconut yogurt. Don’t over mix.
- Place the filling in the refrigerator to set for at least 1 hour.
- Assembly the cakePlace the first sponge cake over a plate.
- Add 2 tbsp of strawberry filling and 2 tbsp of chopped strawberries. Cover with the second sponge cake.
- Proceed the same way for the other two layers.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries, coconut chips, mint leaves.
Fact about Cardamom vanilla cake with strawberries
One interesting fact about cardamom vanilla cake with strawberries is that cardamom is a spice that has been used in cooking and baking for thousands of years. It is native to India and is a member of the ginger family.
Cardamom has a strong, sweet, and spicy flavor that pairs well with vanilla and strawberries, making it a perfect addition to this cake recipe.
Another interesting fact is that vanilla is the second most expensive spice in the world, after saffron. It is derived from the seeds of the vanilla orchid and has a sweet, floral flavor that complements the tartness of the strawberries in this cake.
The combination of these two spices with fresh strawberries creates a unique and delicious flavor profile that is sure to impress.
The nutritional ingredients of Cardamom vanilla cake with strawberries may vary depending on the specific recipe and serving size, but here are some general nutritional facts to keep in mind:
- Strawberries are a good source of vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants.
- The cake batter typically contains flour, sugar, eggs, butter, and baking powder, which are high in calories, carbohydrates, and fat.
- Cardamom and vanilla do not provide significant amounts of vitamins or minerals, but they do add flavor and aroma to the cake.
- The frosting or glaze used in the cake may add additional calories, fat, and sugar.
Overall, Cardamom vanilla cake with strawberries is a delicious treat that should be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced and varied diet.
FAQs of Cardamom vanilla strawberry cake
Here are some frequently asked questions about Cardamom Vanilla Strawberry Cake:
Q: What is cardamom, and where can I find it?
A: Cardamom is a spice that is native to India and is commonly used in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine. It has a sweet, spicy flavor and is available in both seed and ground form. You can find cardamom at most grocery stores or online.
Q: Can I use frozen strawberries in the cake?
A: Fresh strawberries are recommended for this recipe, as they provide the best flavor and texture. However, if fresh strawberries are not available, you can use frozen strawberries that have been thawed and drained.
Q: Can I make the cake ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make the cake ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the best bottom freezer refrigerators for up to three days. You can also freeze the cake for up to three months.
Q: Can I use a different type of frosting or glaze for the cake?
A: Yes, you can use a different type of frosting or glaze for the cake, depending on your preferences. Some options include cream cheese frosting, whipped cream, or a simple powdered sugar glaze.
Q: Can I use a different type of fruit in the cardamom vanilla cake with strawberries?
A: Yes, you can substitute the strawberries with a different type of fruit, such as raspberries, blueberries, or peaches, depending on what is in season and available. The cardamom and vanilla flavors will complement most types of fruit.
In conclusion, Cardamom vanilla cake with strawberries is a delicious and unique dessert that combines the warm, spicy flavor of cardamom with the sweet and floral notes of vanilla and fresh strawberries. While this cake is certainly a treat, it can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Whether served as a special occasion dessert or a sweet indulgence to enjoy with friends and family, this cake is sure to delight your taste buds and impress your guests.