This cake has immediately become a favorite at our home!A fluffy and light vegan sponge cake layered with creamy strawberry filling to celebrate spring. YAY! The recipe is vegan, refined sugar free, dairy free, soy free
I made many attempts to achieve a fluffy and airy sponge cake without using any egg and I must say that I am very happy with this result!
The cake is airy and light and keeps its texture for a couple of days without drying out. (But I’m sure it won’t last that long!)
I filled the sponge cake with coconut yogurt and strawberries to keep it light, but you can also opt for whipped coconut cream, strawberry jam or any other filling you like!
Cardamom and vanilla straberry cake
Ingredients for the sponge cake
- 200 grams light brown sugar
- 100 grams coconut oil or plant-based butter
- 1 tsp cardamom, ground
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 300 ml unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 300 grams flour
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
Ingredients for the strawberry filling
- 400 grams unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cashew butter
- 2 tbsp agave
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 3 tbsp homemade strawberry jam
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 tsp cardamom, ground
- 170 grams chopped strawberries (about 10)
Make the sponge cake
- Preheat oven to 180C degrees.
- Grease and flour three 15cm/6-inch round cake pans.
- In a small bowl, pour in the milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom and salt.
- In a bowl of a food processor, add sugar and softened coconut oil. Beat until fluffy, 1 minute. Slowly add milk and vanilla; beat on low speed until well-incorporated.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and fold gently until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Divide the batter among the 3 prepared cake pans. Bake at 180C for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. The sponges will be lightly browned and beginning to pull away from the sides.
- Remove and cool 10 minutes before turning the cakes onto a wire rack to cool completely
Make the filling
- In a medium bowl, add cashew butter, coconut cream, strawberry jam and agave and stir to combine.
- Gently fold in the coconut yogurt. Don’t over mix.
- Place the filling in the refrigerator to set for at least 1 hour.
Assembly the cake
- Place the first sponge cake over a plate.
- Add 2 tbsp of strawberry filling and 2 tbsp of chopped strawberries. Cover with the second sponge cake.
- Proceed the same way for the other two layers.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries, coconut chips, mint leaves.