Super fluffy pancakes made with spelt flour and vegan buttermilk.
Buttermilk is the secret ingredient to light and fluffy pancakes.
Vegan buttermilk is very easy to make: simply combine dairy free milk (soy, oat, almond) with vinegar or lemon and set aside for 10 minutes to curdle.
These vanilla pancakes are sweetened with brown sugar and pure maple syrup. I love to eat them plain, with just some fruits on top!
- 200 grams spelt flour
- 30 grams potato starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50 grams light brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 200 ml almond milk
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 100 ml water
- 50 grams pure maple syrup
- 20 grams coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk: combine almond milk with vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, potato starch, salt and baking powder and mix well.
- Add maple syrup, vanilla and melted coconut oil to the milk and stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients mixture into the dry ingredients and stir till mostly incorporated. Add the water and mix just until combined.
- Set the batter aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a small non-stick pan over a low-medium heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and cook until golden brown or until the top surface forms bubbles (about 3 minutes).
- Flip and repeat on the other side.